Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Postcards From Home #5 Lulu Bug Jewelry




This week's post is from Sue of Lulu Bug Jewelry (named after her dog in the photo). I don't know about you but the closest I get to excitement on two wheels is going "no-handed" on a bicycle! Thanks Sue for showing us that artists and athletes are not mutually exclusive!


"I work out of my home in Santa Rosa, California, which is about an hour north of San Francisco. My studio is in the living room, which I now share with a couple of very fancy race motorcycles ('97 and '99 Yamaha TZ 250's, in case you were wondering). Before starting my business, I raced motorcycles with the American Federation of Motorcyclists. This was strictly a hobby, but an all encompassing one. Once I started my business I decided that I wanted to put all my time and focus into it, and to continue to race would have been very hard as it's time consuming and very expensive. My boyfriend Kelly raced too, for 13 years, and he recently decided to become self employed too. He needs the space in the garage to work, and these two bikes are far too nice to put in a shed in the backyard, so into my studio (aka the living room) they came! I do miss racing, but it's been a very good trade off for me. I still have a dirt bike and a Ducati 996 street bike to keep me on two wheels."

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed with your courage... You are way more woman then I am! The bikes look great displayed, and your pooch is a heart melter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sue, you are AWESOME! someday i will ride a motorcycle! it's on my "cool chick" list of things to do in life!

    your dog is just about the cutest thing ever, too.

    thanks for the post!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so amazing Sue! This is what I love about the "postcards from home," who would have known? Thanks for sharing, you are so cool! Your dog is just the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT!?! That's awesome...so awesome.
    And my hubby's jealous of your Ducati. He sold his a few years ago and really misses it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! This is so cool! Great pics and Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lulu is precious!
    and I can't imagine motorcycle racing...!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Sue- how cool are you! My hubby is so jealous of your motorcycles- his dirtbike was just stolen, so he is back pedaling with me this summer! I see your work and hobbies merging in the concrete! And I love Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, you are da (wo)Man!! Not only do you design some of the most awesome jewelry on Etsy, but you used to race with the AFM?!!

    Lulu's a love and the perfect namesake for your shop. Thanks so much for sharing!

    (Oh, and we're practically neighbors - I'm just south of Sacramento)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dog is so adorable and it's fascinating to learn about your racing history! I really love this blog feature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want your dog! I just crashed my electric bike into a railing...so, much respect for your biking ability!

    ReplyDelete