Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Postcards From Home #4 La Pomme!





This week's Postcards are from Apol at LaPomme.etsy.com. Here is what she has to say about them:
I live in Aigues Mortes, a medieval-era village in the south of France. The walls you see in these photos have been around since the 13th century. I guess that, surrounded by all this history, the villagers feel compelled to hang on to their traditions. We have many festivals in this area where among the main preoccupations are dressing up like kings, queens, and knights; and celebrating the people's link with bulls. I myself occasionally like going to watch a "course de toros," a sort of bullfight where no animals are harmed, except maybe occasionally the young men who race with the horned creatures. The last photo would be me, soaking in all that culture and history!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, how interesting. I have never been to France, but would love to see the country some day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating Apol- it must be incredible to live in a place with such history and tradition!

    xo- Cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The south of France... wow. Heaven.
    looks beautiful. also glad to hear they are not hurting the bulls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I went to watch a typical corrida once. It was beautiful, theatrical, but then absolutely horrible at the same time. I can't bring myself to watch one again.

    And anyone of you artists find yourself in these parts, write me and we'll have some very murky coffee and great patisseries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's so amazing Apol! What incredible inspiration to draw from day after day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's amazing! i can't imagine living in a place where you'd see these traditions and surroundings everyday... very cool, thanks so much for posting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Apol! I adore the South of France, we used to holiday there every year when I was little, can't wait to get back to some European culture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to live in a place so rich with history and traditions... very awe inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apol, I've been to your country but once, and only to Paris and for way too short a time. I'd love to return someday and travel through the South of France. I can't imagine living in the midst of such beauty and history! Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm late to comment, but just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your photos and learning a bit abour your lovely village.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found this postcard from home! Amazing. It must be wonderful to be surrounded by such history!
    Thank you for sharing your home.

    ReplyDelete