Monday, May 17, 2010

Art of Display - Dressing Dummies

Many years ago at a country auction, I scored this vintage cloth and cast iron dressing form for a mere $12.50. I remember that I had wanted one in the worst way and was thrilled with my find, but driving home that night, along the empty back roads, I managed to get myself pretty spooked as I kept catching glimpses in my rearview mirror of the headless form perched behind me...


Having grown up watching The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Night Gallery, my imagination was pre-conditioned to run wild, and on that dark and long drive home in my old GMC van, I pictured the dress form coming to life and rendering me unconscious, (or worse) and whispering, "So who's the dummy now, sweetheart?"

Happily, no such thing happened and Esmeralda, (as I later named her) has proven to be a good, (albeit quiet) companion, and she is super-duper when it comes to displaying wearables!

Below are two lovely examples found from team members who have used dress forms to display their beautiful work...


Textile Necklace nO.313 from kjoo

and...


Rococo Shawl from Tickled Pink Knits

If you are interested in having a dress form to display your wearables, new models are always for sale and vintage ones can still be easily found, often at reasonable prices, in the local flea and antique markets. (Note: you may want to purchase these vintage ones in the daytime!) Ebay is also a great place to find them, and I have also seen some listed on Etsy.

And if money is no object then check out this vintage White dress form from Factory 20...

4 comments:

  1. Ah, ah! what a great story!!! I can totally imagine myself being scared like you : )
    Beautiful pictures of displays, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great story...i love dress forms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvelous tribute to the dress forms, I don't know what I would do without mine! Honored that you picked one of my photos & shawls - thanks so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, love the name you picked. I've always wanted one, just waiting for one to find me.

    ReplyDelete