Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Postcards From Home #13 - Kristin Love







This week we get to have a glimpse into the world of Kristin Love of Love Artworks and Love Art Studios. Kristin Lives in Seattle, one of my favorite cities.

1. This is a photo of where I live, kind of. I actually live in West Seattle, which is South, (and West...on a peninsula...) of the downtown Seattle you see in the photo. The reason I chose this one is because it shows Mt. Rainier, the 4th tallest mountain in the continental US, and also the Space Needle, where I used to work for 5 years before I left the restaurant life to do my art full time.
2. My Studio! This little "cottage" was lovingly built for me by my carpenter husband, Kane, who could not (and I mean it was getting bad.....) STAND all my pottery, paints, canvases, fabrics, drawings, etc, etc, ALL over the house anymore. So after 6+ years of painting in a corner of our "guest room/storage area" (we have a really small house) he built this studio space for me in our backyard,. It also became a bit of a storage area for awhile, but I've been cleaning it, and it's now a "working Studio" for the most part. The door is going to be painted deep burnt Red this summer and we will add window boxes and Kane is going to build a little deck where the wheelbarrow is! :)
3. This is my "niche" where I spend a LOT of time painting, drawing and creating, and sometimes daydreaming out the window...watching all the little birdies! The rug is the only piece of art hanging in my Studio so far and was made for me by the Navajo Elder that I sponsor. If you would like to know any more about that, please contact me.
4. This is my "corner" at the communal Pottery Studio I work at where I create my clay pieces. These are what my pottery cups, vases, bowls, etc, look like after they have been fired once and then painted with my glaze designs before they go into the kiln for the second time. As you can see, they are NOT very colorful, the colors look very subdued and chalky, (not anything like the finished pieces you see in my shop), and that's one of the tricky parts about painting on pottery. It has taken me a long time to be able to "know", or guestamate, what the piece will look like when it is done, and even then, sometimes, I can be very, very wrong!
5. These are my helpers, Cosmo, the 16 year old grumpy "Grandma" kitty, and Indigo, the 3 year old spastic rescued German Shepherd. Here they are helping me navigate the wondrous Etsy Treasury's on my laptop in our living room! :)
6. Well....Me! This photo was taken while hiking in the Olympic Mountains last summer. The Olympic Peninsula is just a short ferry ride across the Puget Sound from Seattle and Kane and Indigo and I try and get over there as much as possible. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been and it's right in my "backyard"! Come See!! :)

10 comments:

  1. This is wonderful....I love your studio! Hope it inspires my husband too!!! Your helpers look adorable and very helpful!!! Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pics Kristin! Indigo looks very wise and like a deep thinker. I love your cottage- maybe if I leave work all around I will get one- but wait, I already do leave work all around- ugh! I have never been to Seattle, but next time I go to Portland I am driving up there- it looks beautiful! Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother lives in Seattle and its one of my fave US cities!! Beautiful pics! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having your own little creation cottage...
    and your dog is just the cutest! :) those EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your studio Kristen. It looks like the perfect place for creating. How sweet of your hubby to build that for you.

    I have family in Seattle, it really is a beautiful city. Thanks for sharing this slice of your life.

    Your furry friends are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic studio! Your helpers are adorable. :) Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all! please get a hold of me if you are ever in the seattle area....and come meet my "helpers" in person, it really is all about them anyways....right?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seattle is one place I have always wanted to visit... it looks and sounds so wonderful. Love your cottage studio, and Indigo has got to be one of the coolest looking dogs that I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only visited Seattle once - and loved it!
    Thanks so much, Kristin, for these lovely photos and for letting us get to know you a little better. Your studio is perfect, and your furry friends are delightful! : D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that sweet little cottage! We visited Seattle last year and then went on to the San Jaun Islands. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete