Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Preserving Tomatoes the Easy Way!


This great recipe for preserving tomatoes without all the work of traditional canning is from my dear friend and fabulous French Chef, Monique Hooker. I learned the technique in her cooking class and have been hooked ever since on this incredibly easy and amazingly fresh tasting recipe. During the winter use in soups and stews, or thaw and toss them with hot pasta to be transported back to the warm breezes of summer.

Oven-Roasted, Frozen Tomatoes

2 dozen  Italian plum tomatoes, halved  ( I have also used small heirloom tomatoes)
1 cup mixed chopped fresh basil, oregano, marjoram, and thyme ( I use whatever I have available)
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes with the chopped herbs. Toss gently until evenly coasted. Season with salt and pepper.
  Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The time will depend on how juicy the tomatoes are.  They will be semi dry to the touch when ready. If the tomatoes start browning, turn the oven down to 275 F.  During the last 15 minutes of baking, turn the heat up once again so the natural sugar in the tomatoes caramelizes the top to a golden-brown color.
  Serve warm or cold.  Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

Variations: Serve as an appetizer topped with goat cheese, feta or pesto and broiled until warm and bubbly.

Moniques's Touch:
I make several pans of the baked tomatoes at one time because they are so easy to do. After baking, cool, then put them in the freezer on the baking sheet until frozen. Transfer them to zip-lock plastic bags for freezer storage.

To see more of Moniques wonderful recipes visit her at:
http://www.moniquescuisine.com/

Happy Summer Days!
Nancy
Whiteearthstudio

8 comments:

  1. I love tomatoes and my mouth is watering reading this! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as my tomatoes come in I'm trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's fabulous! I'm going to can and freeze a lot this year and this is just the perfect recipe for tomatoes! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this recipe! I LOVE tomatoes and they are just perfect right now in my neck of the woods. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I was so excited to read your post because I have taken three cooking classes with Monique Hooker! She's such a wonderful lady. How neat that you are friends! I love tomatoes and will certainly try this with tomatoes from my garden. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    Where do you live? Are we close? I'm in Onalaska
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait until my tomatoes are ready and I have always wanted to learn this- thanks for posting it Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy--I'm in West Lafayette, Indiana. Monique travels here occasionally to teach at a local cooking store.

    ReplyDelete