Monday, August 2, 2010

Creative Inspiration: Photographs



Have you ever discovered a box full of old photographs? Hauntingly beautiful, these images chronicle a time when women wore high neck, elaborate dresses and men sported handle-bar mousetaches. Even though the names and relations are long forgotten, these photographs provide an intimate and precious glimpse into our history.


Cindy Steiler of Mary's Granddaughter finds inspiration in these photographs. Looking at her work, one can easily see the connection to antique photographic portraits.

"I draw much inspiration from 19th century photos. I'm an avid collector. My family would probably say that my photo habit is an addiction."


"I am currently studying 19th century ambrotype and tintype processes and, as soon as I'm finished building my darkroom, I'll be giving it a try."




Interested in old photography processes? Check out this helpful link by clicking HERE.

3 comments:

  1. I love these old photographs - and I can see where you find some of your inspiration, Cindy. There's something so elegant and timeless about them.
    Thanks for this, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating....very excited about your darkroom and future projects...these are hauntingly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to find inspiration! I love that photo of the five women on horseback!

    ReplyDelete