Monday, August 9, 2010

Tsatsiki


If you have ever had a Gyro sandwich, (correctly pronounced “yee-roh”) this is the wonderful sauce that is used. Any cucumber will do, but I like to use the greek cucumbers that my mother grows in her garden. A few years back, she gathered the seeds and brought them back home with her from a trip to Chios, the island that my father's father came from. I look forward to them all year long!

TSATSIKI
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup yogurt*
2 cups diced cucumber**
salt and pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients.

*Yogurt first needs to be drained by placing in a strainer lined with either paper towel or gauze cloth. Put strainer in a bowl to catch the water. Place in refrigerator overnight to drain sufficiently. Afterwards it will look like what is pictured above.

** After cucumbers have been been peeled and diced, squeeze them in between cloth or paper towels to remove excess water.
(I tend to keep my cucumber pieces pretty big, as I like the crunch... feel free to dice them smaller for a smoother, more traditional dip/sauce.)


I like to eat the dip with pieces of pita or flat bread. (I find that this is even better the second day as all the flavors have had a chance to blend together and the raw garlic has had some time to mellow out a bit!)


Since I am not a meat eater I also like to combine it with vegetarian meat, (Morningstar, Garden or Boca Veggie burgers, chic patties, or sausage patties) that I have seasoned with a bit of cumin, some sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce piled in a thick pita or on top of some more flat bread, as shown above. Makes for a delicious and light veggie version of a gyro sandwich. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. ok now im hungry. i love ethnic food! its the best... i will pass on the fast food.. gimme good old hearty food and im happy! thanks for the recipe

    taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cucumbers are all coming in! Thank you for reminding me about this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds yummy! And so simple! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo delicious! (my favorite cuisine) Thanks so much for sharing! : D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...I will definitely make this. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete