Monday, September 27, 2010

Creative Inspiration: Japan

Today's Creative Inspiration post comes from Sheila of Shecological. Thank you, Sheila!

Ever since I was young, growing up in the Midwest, my friends wondered why I was obsessed with Asian art and design. I couldn’t really explain it then and I still not sure what the original influence was. I do know that now I am intrigued and inspired by Japan.




I went to Tokyo for Spring break a few years ago and the reality of the city exceeded my fantasy. People were friendly and polite. It was clean and convenient. And, it was full of art, style, history, and imagination.



When I am choosing fabric combinations or designing patterns for my bags I try to think about the aesthetics in Japanese design. I love their combination of historic and futuristic, natural and urban, cute (kawaii) and elegant. I love their fabrics and accessories such as zippers and trims.


There are a variety of other influences that I work into my designs but I hope the Japanese inspirations shine through.

6 comments:

  1. My whole life I have dreamed of going to Japan!!! This is a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Sheila. And yes, it does come through in your work. I've never been to Japan, but my husband has gone 4 times for his work. He loves it .. now that I'm a photographer, I'd love to go, too. I see the world differently!

    thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this and seeing the accompanying photos .. and yes, Sheila, I really can see the Asian influence in your work!
    Thanks so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You went to Japan!!! How fun. I love the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete