Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday Soups



Several years back on a bitterly cold December Saturday, we moved into our home. With a six month old baby, two stressed-out dogs, an overpacked U-haul, and inherited grime in the kitchen and bathrooms, cooking was the last thing on my mind that weekend.

My dear grandmother arrived that morning to tend to our daughter while we cleaned, hauled, moved, and unpacked. Gram did not come empty handed. She supplied us with food for the weekend... fresh baked rolls, brownies, pickled beets, and several jars of her sausage and kale soup. The home cooked goodies, especially the soup, was a comfort that weekend as we tackled new ownership of an old and unexpectedly drafty house.

It's now a staple in our fall/winter menu. Perhaps we both love this soup as a remembrance of my grandmother's kind gift of comfort on that cold December Saturday. Years later, our home is no longer drafty and thankfully grime-free, but this soup still warms our souls as it did on moving day.


Sausage and Kale Soup

1 lb. bulk pork sausage (regular, sweet Italian, or hot Italian)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 TB olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
3 cans (14.4 oz each) chicken broth
2 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 lb. fresh kale, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 or 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Over medium heat, cook the sausage and onion in the olive oil, stirring as needed. Cook until the sausage is brown about 5 minutes. Drain the oil if needed. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, water, bouillon, and kale to the sausage mixture. Bring to and boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, covered. Add the potatoes and cook another 15 minutes (or when the potatoes are fork tender). Add the beans and cook 5 minutes. Enjoy!!

9 comments:

  1. I would think omitting the sausage, increasing the amount of any or all of the vegetables, and switching to vegetable stock/broth would make a lovely vegetarian option as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I might try to make this with carrots and TVP and veggie broth! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes..this sounds great....and cozy....thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could eat my computer screen right now, I probably would. Yummmm. Thanks for the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this time of year and winter IF ONLY for the soups I can make and the warmth and comfort in them. Looks like an excellent recipe and I'm going to try this one this week. Sounds like a soup my husband would love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect timing. I have been thinking soup all week! This one sounds wonderful. Will for sure try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmm! This soup looks so yummy! It reminds me of a soup a Portuguese friend of mine makes. I will be giving this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to make this soup but for some reason none of the stores around here have kale.

    I'm going to look to see if there's a substitute.. my husband is looking forward to the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally found kale at (of all places) the Wal-Mart grocery section! It's huge but I really hardly EVER go to Wal-Mart except at maybe 7 a.m. for optimal crowd-control.

    ANYHOW, I made the soup yesterday and my husband died for it! Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete