Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday Soups

I grew carrots for the first time this year. The results were mixed. Some were very tiny; others full sized. Was the soil too rich and not sandy enough? Did I not thin the tiny seedlings enough as instructed or did I plant too late in the spring?

I love the taste of a carrot just pulled from the garden and rinsed off with the garden hose. That earthy sweetness can not be found in carrots stuffed in plastic bags from far off fields.

I dreamed about making this soup all summer with our own carrots. I had hoped that my carrot harvest would produce enough for this soup...sadly, it did not. So, I purchased carrots at a local farmers market. Next year though, I'm determined to grow a bumper crop of carrots for many, many soups.

Carrot Dill Soup

4 TB butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs with leaves, diced
8 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
cayenne pepper, pinch or to taste
2 TB dill, chopped
sour cream
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
dill sprigs for garnish


Melt the butter in a stock pot, add the onion, and cook over low heat until the onion softens, about 10 minutes.

Add to the onion: the carrots, 1/4 cup of dill, celery, stock, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover. Cook over low heat for 50 minutes or until carrots are soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor and return to the pot. Add the remaining chopped dill. Adjust the seasonings and heat thoroughly.

Serve in bowls. Garnish with a bit of sour cream, red bell pepper, and a dill sprig.


5 comments:

  1. excellent! I love your photographs, by the way - they're very good :)

    I'll have to try this as soon as I get the sausage and kale one made :) The thing I love about the winter is the variety of stews and soups I can now make :) Thanks for adding to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect recipe to match the cold, damp weather in Seattle this weekend--thank you!

    And I agree with Jude. The pictures are fabulous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments on the photos. Our kitchen has one smallish north facing window, so it's a challenge to take nicely lit pics.

    And that red skeleton thing? That's my crushed red pepper shaker. Cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew carrots too..and I am going to try this soup...beautiful job Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll pull some carrots out of the ground tomorrow and give this a try! Thanks Jen.
    -Christina (and yes I love your shaker)

    ReplyDelete