Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday Soups

In my previous Saturday Soup, I lamented over our wimpy carrot harvest. In contrast, our plum tomato (Roma variety) was wildly successful. I planted 6 plants in an old perennial border and let them be. Wow. Apparently, neglect and 8 hours of full sun daily was all these plants needed.

What better way to savor these mighty plum tomatoes than through a soup....a roasted tomato soup to be exact.



Roasted Tomato Soup

3 lbs plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/4 + 2 TB olive oil
1 TB sea salt
1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 medium onions, chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced (use less if desired)
4 TB butter
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 can whole plum tomatoes with their juice (28 oz)
1 c. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
32 oz chicken or vegetable stock

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and toss with your hands. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer, cut side up, on the same baking sheet and roast for 45-55 minutes.


In an 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper in the olive oil and butter for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to brown.

Add the canned tomatoes and juice, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid from the baking sheet (scrape the sheet as well to get the carmelized juices...this will intensify the roasted taste).

Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 50 minutes. Pass through a food mill with a coarse blade. Adjust seasonings. Enjoy with good friends and a crusty baguette!



8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Jen! Our tomatoes have been gone for a while - I wish I had canned some instead of giving them away - but I am totally going to make this. I've never made tomato soup - it looks rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait to make this!! Thank You SO MUCH!!
    I'm off to the Grocery Store and I think I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches, with Artisan cheeses and wondrously Crusty sourdough, to go with!
    :) Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! We planted tomatoes late this year, and that, combined with a very cold, gray summer has yielded not one ripe tomato. There are still good looking heirlooms in the store, so I think I'll pick some up and make soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious-you may be in the wrong profession (how about 2 at-home jobs?) (<:) XOXO to my favorite jeweler & chef..... M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the Worst cook in the world..but I am even going to try this....doesn't look too difficult!!! :) Thanks Jen....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's REALLY good.... I hope you all try it!

    I would just say if you use tomatoes other than plum, remove the tomato's juice and pulp. If the tomatoes are too juicy, they'll boil rather than roast in the oven and all of that roasted, carmelized goodness will be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to roast the tomatos!!!
    That is a serious looking food mill you have!
    You seem to be the perfect person to get these
    great recipes to us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! this is a yummy, cozy looking soup! I now have a use for my old baby food mill! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete