Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Favorite Tool/Creative Proces - Tina of Tinahdee


This week’s Favorite Tool/Creative Process comes from metalsmith and jewelry designer, Tina Gasperson of Etsy’s Tinahdee – beautiful jewelry. Tina answered a few questions to bring us into her world of original and unique work.

I really do love every part of the process for designing, making, and marketing my jewelry, and even love the customer service aspect and preparing items for shipping. But I think the most inspiring part for me lies in the hammer. It's special because the hammer gives the ring character - whether I'm using a nylon hammer to give the ring a smooth round finish, or my chasing hammer to give it beautiful reflective facets, or the old dinged up hammer I stole from my husband. Many people might think that old dinged up hammer is good only for banging a nail into a wall, but for me that's definitely not the case.

The flaws and pits on the surface of this special tool give my rings a character all their own, and it is an aesthetic that I find a lot of beauty it. I see so many parallels between life and hammering rings. Life is going to give you some hard knocks all throughout - but if you let it, it can make you stronger and more beautiful. To me, beauty isn't super shiny and perfect - it is seeing things as they really are, but when you look closely you can see yourself reflected in those imperfections, and you love it.


The hammer - borrowed from Tina's husband
Rustic archaic copper and silver men's band ring

 Other than that, I really love my stamps. Again, I stole the first set from my husband, but since then I have begun to slowly amass my own collection of different fonts and designs. As a writer and word lover, there's something really special about putting words on a beautiful piece of jewelry. I especially love the idea of the cooperation that happens between me and my customer - the words can be so extraordinarily meaningful, and I get to put my artistic spin on those words to create a beautiful tangible reminder of a very special thing. It's deeply satisfying.

her burgeoning collection of metal stamps
Rustic sterling wedding rings personalized band set
Renaissance and Solid Gold Nugget Wedding Ring set
Rustic beauty sterling silver band ring

Here are a few more interesting facts about Tina and her work:

I am a self-taught metalsmith. I love to make rings. I remember how I felt the first time I made a ring, and I knew it was something special. There's just something amazing about being able to create a piece of art that you wear on your hand and can see all the time - you carry it around with you everywhere you go.

I started making and selling jewelry on Etsy after I took on the job of making 50 tiaras by hand for a group of women. It was a total unknown for me and completely outside of my comfort zone because I had never made any kind of jewelry and had even commented before that making jewelry was just not my thing - but by the time I was finished I somehow knew that this experience was going to lead to other things. I had that little voice inside that said, "don't stop doing this now." A friend of mine was selling handmade baby bibs and diaper covers at this place called Etsy. (She's now running a successful photography business and doesn't even have a shop on Etsy anymore!) I signed up for Etsy in May 2008, opened my store officially in July 2008, and that was the start of a big wonderful change in my life.

To see more of her beautiful creations visit:  Tinahdee - Beautiful Jewelry

Thank you Tina!

19 comments:

  1. Great post...so interesting to learn more about Tina and her beautiful work! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great peek into Tina's wonderfully creative world! Thanks for sharing!

    ... and funny how life knows what you will be even before you yourself know. (I clearly remember thinking years ago, that making a quilt had to be the most boring thing in the world...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic post! I enjoyed learning more about Tina and her work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post... I too understand the power of a marred hammer surface!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your world Tina! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Jude for posting this. thanks all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina...great post....and lovely photos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Tina's work, lovely to read more about her process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful work! Thanks for sharing it!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pretty and i loved learning about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to learn more about you, Tina! You express yourself wonderfully in words and metal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, Tina! For me, it's a great feeling to hold a torch, so I understand your attachment to your dinged up hammer! lol!
    And your a Florida gal, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's such a treat to get insight into an artist workspace, tools and creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much fun to get a glimpse into your workspace. You are so talented! I love your rings. They are unique and wonderful ~ just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina, your work is so wonderful and affordable! My wish list that I'm giving to hubby is going to have one of your rings on it, if I can ever figure out which one to get!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great feature...thanks for sharing. Even for this textile artist it was insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful art from a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great post...love reading more about Tina's process. I adore her work, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete