Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Postcards From Home #17 Emma Lamb


Happy Wednesday Everyone! Today we are treated to a magnificent glimpse of Edinburgh (pronounced "Edinburough" in case you didn't know) and the charming studio of Emma Lamb. Thanks Emma and I hope everyone enjoys it!


Hello Everyone, I live in the gorgeous city that is Edinburgh, Scotland. I'm an English girl really but moved to Edinburgh to study, that was fourteen years ago now and I'm still here despite the changeable weather! Really, don't be fooled by these lovely sunny pictures I took this summer of Edinburgh's castle and the nearby Princes street gardens. I'll never forget the first day my parents came to visit me here. We were treated to wind, rain, glorious sunshine that steamed us dry, more rain with a touch of sleet and even more beautiful sunshine. That was all in the space of an hour or two as we did a wee bit of sight seeing! Honestly, as much as I love this city for it's inspiring history, architecture and culture, sometimes I do wonder why I don't move somewhere much warmer... ;)


This is me in my home studio, my wee colourful sanctuary of creativity where I crochet all my lovely ladies... :)


Although there are so many fabulous places to see and things to do in and around Edinburgh, there are two that always top of our favourites. This is mostly because our 'wee man' Spanner (our English Cocker Spaniel dog) can come with us. The first up is Arthur's Seat, a huge volcanic hill right in the centre of the city. Edinburgh is known for having vast green spaces, but the best of them in my mind is definitely Arthur's seat. You only need to climb halfway up before you get some of the most beautiful views of the city and when you do get to the top you get an incredible panoramic view of the city and the surrounding areas. In the late summer we love to go up there for our evening walk and watch the sun as it starts to set (that's assuming we're not having any of that changeable weather I mentioned earlier!). If you ever happen to be visiting this fair city you really must put Arthur's seat on you 'to do' list... :)



The second of our top favourites is to visit the ruined castles that seem to litter the Scottish countryside around Edinburgh. These pictures are from Linlithgow palace, the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots. The great thing about this and lost of the other castles is that they are in pretty good condition considering their turbulent history. In Linlithgow all of the stonework of the building is still intact, all the timber floors and roof beams are long gone but a lot of the rooms can still be explored. You get a wonderful sense of how daily life might have been for anyone that lived there, albeit from a very nostalgic and rose tinted perspective. Oh, and the really great thing is that a lot of these ruined castles allow canine visitors too!

Well, it seems I have rambled on quite a bit there and I didn't get to mention the Edinburgh festival. Maybe another time... ;)
I do hope you enjoyed a wee peek into my wee world and I hope you all have a fabulous
day,
Emma, x




10 comments:

  1. Emma this is just lovely! We (my husband and I) visited your wonderful city in 2001, and I long to go back. So much history and beauty!
    Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us.. your work is amazing, as well! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so fabulous!!! I have always longed to visit Edinburgh!!! Love the glimpse of your fair city and seeing you at work!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to see your home. What a rich history you have!! My neighbors just went on their honeymoon to your beautiful country and absolutely loved it.
    Thanks for the peek into your world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really beautiful and so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only dream in this world was to go to Scotland and I did get to go in 2005. I went to your fair city and also the Isle of Skye.. it was all as beautiful as I'd imagined it would be.. Your photos bring me back.

    Very interesting learning about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much you guys! I'm so pleased you enjoyed this wee peek into my world... :)
    Sometimes it is easy for me to forget how lucky I am to live in such an inspiring and beautiful city. But doing this wee post and reading all your lovely comments is such a wonderful reminder... :)
    I hope you all have a fabulous day!
    Emma, x

    ps ~ Thank you too Sheila... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post Emma. And if today was one one of those 'changeable weather days' it has to be today. I've had lights on and off all morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post...nice to see and hear more about Edinburgh...a long hoped-for destination....definitely on my list! Thanks for making your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely peek into your world. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Emma! I traveled to Edinburgh this past Spring and LOVED it-- what a wonderful place to live! I admire your crochet work and enjoyed this peek into your studio!

    ReplyDelete