Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday Soups


It was a cold, rainy few days here. Every inch of the house was damp and raw. So, what better way to chase away the cold by firing up the stove and making a soup?

This recipe has been a family favorite for years. First, it's super (can I say souper?) easy to make. Second, you can use leftover chicken from Sunday's dinner. I love any recipe that will clean out my fridge.

Just a couple of cook's notes:

I really, really dislike cilantro, so I substitute with flat leaf parsley.
Don't have fresh basil? Use dried basil, half as much though.
The water/ bouillon can be substituted with chicken broth.



White Winter Chili

1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 stick butter or margarine
4 c. 1/2 inch cubed cooked chicken
3 c. water
2 TB. cilantro, chopped
1 TB. basil, chopped
3 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 3 bouillon cubes
2 tsp. ground red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 16oz. cans great northern beans, undrained

Cook onions and garlic in butter or margarine in a 4 qt. soup/stock pot...stir frequently until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Serve hot with blue corn chips.





Happy Cooking, Everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I know what I'm making for dinner one day this week, Jen. Thanks so much, seriously, I think my hubby was getting sick of my vast, but repeating "choices" after 35 years.. (35 or 36? hmmm.. it's a blur now..lol)

    looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a quick, easy recipe. This soup looks yummy! BF doesn't eat meat, so I'd substitute tofu for chicken and veggie bouillon (or "no chicken" bouillon) for the chicken bouillon, but I'm sure this would translate into a very tasty meal! Cheers! (Janyce)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janyce... I think that would make a terrific vegetarian soup....maybe even a nice saute of carrots and celery to replace the chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I didn't know there could be so many interesting soups! great photos!

    ReplyDelete