Thursday, November 25, 2010

Tea Time: Cinnamon Rolls



Christina and her husband are off celebrating with their family for the day (it's Thanksgiving in the United States). She and I were thinking we'd skip "Tea Time" this week, but I made cinnamon rolls this morning, so I thought I'd share the recipe. Enjoy!--Janyce

Cinnamon Rolls (from the Betty Crocker Cookbook)

Dough

1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour

Filling

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, then stir in the milk, sugar butter, salt, egg and 2 cups of the flour. Stir until smooth, then mix in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double (about an hour or so). Punch down dough and roll out onto a lightly floured surface (roughly 12x18 inch rectangle). Mix sugar and cinnamon together. Spread dough with butter, then sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly across surface. Starting with the long end, roll the dough tightly. Pinch edges of dough to seal well. Slice the roll into 18 one inch slices and place in greased muffin tins, cookie sheet, or cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. I like these plain, hot out of the oven, but you can glaze the rolls when they're cool using a mixture of 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a tablespoon of milk.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you use Betty Crocker! My old stand by is Fannie Farmer. I can always find direction there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, the rolls look so great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wish I lived next door to you:)

    ReplyDelete