Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tea Time

Tea time is an important part of the madder root work day. This week's recipe is for popovers. If you don't have a popover pan (does the fact that I have a pan specifically for popovers mean I have a baking obsession?) you can use individual custard dishes or a muffin pan although your popovers may not rise as high.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees

This recipe is great because the simple ingredients mean you can whip them up when you have nothing else in the pantry.

Whisk the 2 eggs together in large bowl and then sift 1 cup flour and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt into bowl. Add milk and whisk together. A few lumps are okay- it is better to have lumps then over work the batter.

grease and flour popover pan

fill each tin 1/2 way with batter

bake at 450 for 20 minutes than reduce heat to 350 and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. It is important not to open the oven (however tempting it may be)

Pull them out of the oven carefully because they will be steamy

Serve warm with butter or jam and a nice hot cup of tea.

8 comments:

  1. oomg.. I HAVE to have a popover pan!! They look scrumptious! Thank you so much for the recipe! My husband is loving all the ones I'm getting from the blog..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am asking for a popover pan for xhristmas! I love your photos and I love your little vintage stove! I was at a restaurant in Telluride recently where they brought popovers to every table instead of bread! They had parmesan and salt sprinkled on top! It was the best part of the meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect timing! My husband was JUST (I mean like 2 nights ago) talking about popovers and wished I would make some for him! I think he had some at the Jordan Pond House in Acadia that were excellent.... time to raid my Mom's kitchen for that popover pan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and yes, the popover pan is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! I want a pop over pan too! Then I will definately try these!!!! Amazingly beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too good not to try this rainy morning! Looks like muffin-pan popovers for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popovers! I haven't had them in years...and I even HAVE a popover pan...but alas, my husband is trying to be gluten free....but, this would be worth cheating for... I say popovers this weekend! Thanks for the great pics and instructions!

    ReplyDelete